It is extremely hard to keep your skin supple and moisturized during the winter. The cold weather has a way of creating wrinkles and cracks on your skin, and if you do not take extra care you can end up having some permanent damage. The cold weather has a way of reducing the amount of humidity that is in the air, and this has a way of removing the moisture from your skin even if you are using the best moisturizer for mature skin. If you do not take proper care of the skin, it can start to crack and bleed. When the winter is harsh, it can make this problem a lot worse.
Also, when you heat up your home, it further robs your skin of its moisture. You therefore have to take extra care of your skin. Here are some steps to maintaining good skin during a cold winter.
- Always take a bath with warm water: No matter how brave you are, the winter isn’t the right time to demonstrate such bravado. Apart from the fact the hot water would make you feel good in the cold, it has a way of providing more moisture for your skin. Even when you aren’t taking a proper bath, try to wash your hands and face with warm water. Cold water has a way of stripping your skin of its oils, and hot water restores them.
- Always moisturize: Immediately after taking a warm shower, moisturize your skin. This implies that you should make use of a good moisturizer. When your skin is moist, lotion becomes more effective. Your skin becomes more receptive because the pores are open. It therefore makes sense to moisturize with a good lotion right after a shower.
- Take extra care to protect your skin: Using a good moisturizer is not good enough on its own. You should also take care to wear scarves and gloves in order to protect your skin. You should also make use of sunscreen because the sun in the winter can be just as bad as in the summer, if not worse.
- Drink a lot of water: By now it is no longer news that drinking a lot of water helps to moisturize your skin. Your skin needs to be hydrated from within as well as from the outside. You should drink a little warm water with some lemon to keep your skin hydrated at all times.
- Take some time out to exfoliate: Exfoliating always does wonders for your skin. You should buy a good facial scrub or exfoliating mask and use it constantly during the weather. It will help you get rid of dead skin cells and make your skin more receptive to the moisturizer that you are using.