Fine lines and wrinkles can be reduced quite successfully by tightening and plumping the skin, a much less painful and less addictive alternative than enslaving yourself to regular Botox. The effectiveness of modern skincare has improved in leaps and bounds over the past few years, and huge amounts of research have been directed at products for the “mature skin” They also do what Botox cannot – they improve the appearance of the skin as opposed to just stopping the lines. Not all of them are prohibitively expensive, though manufacturers obviously think the longer the name the better from a marketing point of view! So here are some of the most effective, in order of ascending price:
- Marks and Spencer Formula Age Repair Ceramide Collagen Serum stimulates collagen production and replenishes moisture. It completely sold out after a “Protect & Perfect” experience but is now back in stock.
- Marks and Spencer Advanced Formula Intense Serum Plus is one of the most realistically priced. It contains a mild muscle relaxant and gives you a sort of instant botox effect filling out wrinkles and freezing facial muscles. It also contains hyaluronic acid – the ultimate anti-ager – which fills in nooks and crannies.
- Boots No7 ‘s Lift and Luminate Mask is a perfect facial pick-me-up.
- Nick Lowe’s The Secret is Out Super Lifting Serum has been developed through years of experience at his skin clinic ( where ironically he used to pioneer Botox) and works well at improving elasticity and reducing fine lines. Use under moisturiser.
- Sarah Chapman’s Skinesis Overnight Facial Serum lifts and firms the skin overnight, making it look fresh and with a definite touch of radiance. Her Intense Hydrating Booster works extremely well to boost skin hydration.
- Estée Lauder Perfectionist Targeted Deep Wrinkle Filler is packed with hyaluronic acid to instantly deliver plumping moisture into your skin and reduce deep lines.
- Dr Lewins Line Smoothing Complex S8 contains a very effective line smoothing formula. Just tap a little onto your face and let your skin soak it up
- Institut Esthederm Lift System Lines Filler is also effective at delivering an instant effect and smoothing the skin, and you only need to use it sparingly
- Aromatherapy Associates’ Anti Age Overnight Repair Mask does a great job of nourishing the skin and its rose and frankincense fragrance is gorgeous.
Skin needling is a technique that helps the skin repair and rejuvenate itself, and you really do notice the difference quite quickly. Micro needles penetrate the top layers of skin and then as the skin repairs it does look smoother and fresher looking. The tiny skin punctures also mean that the creams that you apply to your face really sink in, rather than just sitting on the surface. If you can find a beautician that uses Environ then you can ask them for the treatment first, and then buy a less invasive dermaroller to use regularly at home to help moisturisers penetrate more effectively.
Our daily tips include:
- Sun screen should really be worn every day – not just when you are in the sun. Today’s bronzed face is tomorrow’s lined one.
- Dark spots, blemishes and mottled patches from sun exposure are common in older skin and Clinique’s latest “Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector” does actually seem to work on them, though it will take a while. Alternatively get your dark spots lasered by a professionally trained expert. The spots will go darker initially but the light scab soon falls off leaving a clear patch, often after one treatment.
- Massage face and neck daily, applying firm pressure and using strong circular movements to release tension in your face, relax the muscles and help those stress lines fade.
- Lips naturally thin with age. Wrinkles and lines around the upper lip appear in middle age and sun damage makes them worse. The best thing is to always keep your lips hydrated. That way they will always look fuller and healthy. To exfoliate your lips Body Shop’s Lipscuff is perfect. To reduce lines Space NK has Lineless Lines No More for Lips For a more penetrating weekly treatment use Decleor Hydra Floral ‘Flower Petals’ Eye and Lip Mask
- Care of the skin is fundamental, so moisturise day and night.
And finally though it may sound odd, try and sleep on your back. Sleeping on your side will crumple your cheeks and face into vertical lines from nose to chin. Try pushing your cheek towards your nose to see what happens! And don’t chew gum – cosmetic surgeons are now finding that patients who regularly chewed gum have developed more wrinkles and fine lines around the mouth and lips due to loss of elasticity – so warn your daughters!